The City of Markham will benefit from a program designed to help reduce fire and carbon monoxide deaths.
Markham Fire and Emergency Services (MFES) will donate 474 combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to vulnerable and at-risk residents through Safe Community Project Zero, a public education campaign that receives financial backing from Enbridge Gas.
In 2019, MFES received 360 alarms.
When properly installed and maintained, the alarms help provide early warning to safely escape from a house fire or carbon monoxide exposure. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, toxic, odourless gas that’s produced when common fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood don’t burn completely in furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters and other appliances.
“Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ for a reason, and we have proof that prevention saves lives,” says Steve McGivery, Director, GTA East Operations, Enbridge Gas. “We know that the best way to avoid carbon monoxide exposure is to eliminate it at the source by properly maintaining fuel-burning equipment and that the alarms are a critical second line of defense to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning.”
Enbridge Gas invested $500,000 in Safe Community Project Zero this year to provide more than 16,600 alarms to residents in 70 municipalities across Ontario. Over the past 13 years, the program has provided more than 68,000 alarms to Ontario fire departments.
“We are pleased to be part of Safe Community Project Zero again so we can support public education with free alarms to the most vulnerable in our community,” says MFES Fire Chief Adam Grant.
“Ontario homeowners are required to install a working carbon monoxide alarm next to each sleeping area of the home if there’s a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace, or an attached garage. If you live in a condo or apartment building with a service room or a garage, these alarms must be installed in the room and adjacent to each sleeping area above, below, and beside the service room and garage.”
Photo: Markham Fire and Emergency Services Fire Chief Adam Grant with smoke and carbon monoxide alarms received through Safe Community Project Zero. In back, from left, are Deputy Fire Chief Matt Keay and Deputy Fire Chief Chris Nearing.