Amex Canada recently kicked off Blueprint, a mentorship and $1M grant program to support the advancement of 100 BIPOC business owners in Canada.
With Small Business Month underway, it is a perfect opportunity to highlight some of the driven and passionate entrepreneurs in York Region that were selected to participate in the program.
Meet some of York Region’s BIPOC-owned businesses:
- Isabelle Lam, Remix Snacks: Remix Snacks is a Markham-based snack company led by women and registered dietitians who are committed to making simple, delicious and healthy snacks. The environmentally-friendly company uses plant-based proteins and upcycled fruits using sustainable ingredients while also reducing food waste. As part of Remix Snacks’ product offerings, Bean Bark is the market’s first vegan chocolate bark made with beans instead of nuts packed with high fiber, iron and proteins.
- Bimpe & Ade Ayeni, Blair + Jack: Located in East Gwillimbury, Blair + Jack is a men’s skincare company that focuses on a deeper sense of personal care and confidence around skincare routine for men. The line of products are offered in prescription-strength blends using cruelty-free ingredients. As part of the growing business and husband and wife duo created a podcast, Deeper Than Skin, to tackle mental health, skincare and stigmas through open conversation.
- Zehra Allibhai, The FitNest Inc.: Built around making health & fitness fun and accessible for everyone, The FitNest was developed to help women and families across Canada through its online fitness program. Based out of Richmond Hill, the business is looking to expand its line of fitness gear paired with a subscription-based program while also introducing a line of health supplements.
- Yasaman Hajshafiei, Organic Bytes Inc.: Organic Bytes is the sweet escape for many local residents in the Thornhill area. Organic yet luxurious and beautiful cakes are made with nutrient-dense and organic ingredients offered in a range of gluten-free, lactose and dairy-free as well as vegan options. Organic Bytes is proud to provide orders with two-days’ notice; breaking through traditional bakery timelines of minimum two-weeks or more.
- Christine Robinson, Chef Chrissy: Chef Chrissy and women entrepreneur focuses on helping individuals achieve successful results of any nutritional diet. She hosts 1:1 workshops to help her clients work through managing digestive issues while improving energy levels and eating behaviours. As part Chef Chrissy’s business, she specializes in catering using local, fresh products that are nutrient-dense packed with natural vitamins and minerals.