Each year schools celebrate International Walk to School Day on October 6th.
There are many good reasons to walk to school whenever the weather permits.
Walking to school:
- Keeps kids active – a cheap and easy way to stay active, with out any special training or equipment.
- Builds friendships – walk with a classmate or schoolmate.
- Improves air quality and the environment – less cars, less pollution.
- Creates safer routes – less traffic means safer roads.
- Helps prepare children for learning – movement gets the blood flowing to the brain.
Schools will encourage students to walk to school. If you are a parent who drives your child to school because of distance, you can park your car safely a few blocks from school and walk with your child the rest of the way to school.
For more information, visit iwalktoschool.org.