Environment Canada has issued a freezing rain warning for Markham and surrounding areas this weekend starting on April 14 and continuing to April 15. Significant ice build-up due to freezing rain is expected and an ice storm is considered likely to occur.
Ice build-up of 10 to 20 mm appears quite likely across the region by Sunday morning. Ice accumulations of this magnitude combined with gusty northeast winds up to 60 km/h may result in widespread power outages due to fallen tree limbs and power lines. Residents are advised to stay clear of downed power lines.
Alectra Utilities has issued a media release, asking customers in their service territory to be prepared for potential power outages this weekend. If you experience a power outage or want Alectra updates, please access Alectra’s Twitter channel @AlectraNews, download their mobile app or visit the outage map at alectrautilities.com. To report outages or receive updates on restoration times call 1-877-963-6900.
The City of Markham reminds residents that it is important for families and individuals to prepare to take care of themselves and check on vulnerable family and neighbours. Prepare your family home emergency preparedness kit. A basic kit should include the following:
- Water – four litres per person, per day (two litres for drinking and two litres for sanitation and food preparation)
- Non-perishable food i.e. canned food, dried food, energy bars
- Manual can opener
- Wind up or battery powered radio and flashlight
- First aid kit
- Extra keys for home and car
- Cash in small bills and change
- Change of clothes
- Emergency blanket or sleeping bag
- Special items such as prescription medication, infant formula, etc.
- Ensure you charge up your electronic devices in advance of the storm
Call the Markham Contact Centre to report any tree issues or other municipal service needs at 905-477-7000 and be sure to tune into Markham’s local radio station, 105.9FM The Region for current information.
Visit markham.ca/AreYouPrepared for more information on emergency preparedness.