Based on information from Environment Canada, the City of Markham has issued a heat warning for Monday, June 12. It is important to take precautions to avoid suffering heat-related illnesses.
The City of Markham recommends the following based on Health Canada guidelines:
- Drink plenty of cool liquids, especially water, to decrease your risk of dehydration.
- Wear loose-fitting, light-coloured clothing made of breathable fabric.
- Keep people and pets in your care out of parked vehicles and direct sunlight.
- Spend a few hours in a cool place – a tree-shaded area, swimming facility or an air-conditioned building such as a shopping mall, grocery store, place of worship or public library.
- Take cool showers or baths.
- Prepare meals that don’t need to be cooked in your oven.
- Block sunlight by opening awnings, and closing curtains and blinds during the day.
- Avoid sun exposure – shade yourself by wearing a wide-brimmed, breathable hat or using an umbrella.
- If you are taking medication or have an existing health condition, ask your doctor or pharmacist if heat exposure increases your health risk and follow their advice.
- If you have an air conditioner with a thermostat, keep it set to somewhere between 22ºC (72ºF) and 26ºC (79ºF), which will reduce your energy costs and provide you with needed relief.
- If you have a window air conditioner, cool only one room where you can go for heat relief.
- Frequently visit friends, neighbours, and elderly family members, especially those who are chronically ill, to make sure they are cool and hydrated.
- Reschedule or plan outdoor activities during cooler parts of the day.
Cooling Centres Available at Community Centres and Libraries
- Angus Glen Community Centre & Library, 3990 Major Mackenzie Drive East
- Armadale Community Centre & Library, 2401 Denison Street
- Cornell Community Centre & Library, 3201 Bur Oak Avenue
- Milliken Mills Community Centre & Library, 7600 Kennedy Road
- Thornhill Community Centre & Library, 7755 Bayview Avenue
- Centennial Community Centre, 8600 McCowan Road
- Markham Village Library, 6031 Hwy 7
- Unionville Library, 15 Library Lane
For a complete list of facilities and hours of operation, visit markham.ca